Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Why Cautiously?

Why "Cautiously" Crafty?

I consider myself cautiously crafty because I don't think I am one of those natural crafters.  I don't have the innate knowledge that so many of the wonderful crafty people out there have.  I don't just know what is going to look good or work together.  I can't look at a picture of something and deconstruct it mentally then whip up a recreation.

I have to work at being crafty and creative. For example, fabric and color pairings. There are some people out there who can pick different prints that I wouldn't think would work together, and it looks amazing! Most of the time I play it safe and pair a print with a coordinating solid.  Even then I'll usually agonize for awhile over whether or not the shades match or if one is a warm red and the other a bit cooler. It's a tedious process.

I am attempting to break out of this though and make myself try to match prints more. Here is one of my more successful pairings....


This is a SIG Delaney top in an orange polkadot and aqua chevron.  Two pattern and color pairings I wouldn't have normally made. I saw pictures somewhere of a crib set in aqua and orange and was surprised at how well it went together.  I really wanted to try it in an outfit and I quickly decided to try and do this print mix as well.  I liked how the fabrics looked together and was excited to make the outfit. Then I finished the outfit and I was skeptical. I wasn't sure I liked it anymore.  I was worried I had failed yet again and print matching.

But then the next day (because I finished sewing at like midnight) I got it on my daughter and just about passed out from the cute.  I deemed it a successful print-matching attempt.

Here is the back of the outfit.  The shorts are Brownie-Goose Summer Sailors.  These and the Delaney are two of my favorite patterns lately, I hope to share more about them later.


How about you?  Are you one of those lucky natural-born crafters, or do you have to work at it like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment