Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sew-along with Candy Castle Patterns!

One of the things I love about PDF sewing patterns is the community that comes with them.  Many designers have their own sewing groups that fans can be a part of and ask questions, chit chat with the designer, test new patterns, and a myriad of other things.

I'm participating in a sew-along with one of those groups right now, Candy Castle Patterns. The sew-along is being led by the designer herself. She is showing us how to take the already super versatile Bubblegum Dress...

Check out how many different ways this dress can be made! Photo property of Candy Castle Patterns.

 and turn it into this...

Photo property of Candy Castle Creations


In case you aren't familiar with how sew-alongs work, the person leading the sew-along sets a schedule, and you sew the project following the schedule.  It is a lot of fun to see the creative choices everybody makes and what their take on the pattern is. 

Right now we're on step 2 of the sew along, step one was to purchase the pattern and fabric. Step 2 is wash and iron, and prepare the pattern pieces.

This is the fabric I'm using for mine


I love this print so much.  I scooped up 3 yards so I would have plenty to make several outfits.  It has been so much fun to see the fabric combinations the other ladies in the sew along have chosen.  I can't wait to see all the finished projects.

Now, I didn't want the sew-along to be my first go at this pattern, so I whipped up a version following the original pattern.

Get a load of those sandal tan lines!
The hardest part now is making myself wait and follow the sew-along schedule instead of going ahead and making the dress.  I will be back to share more as we progress in the sew-along. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest checking out Candy Castle Patterns, she's on Etsy and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment